We are excited that you are interested in choosing NPower to launch your tech career. We hope to answer a few questions that you may have. In response to COVID-19, classes have transitioned to a remote learning environment.
GENERAL INTEREST QUESTIONS
Currently, we only accept applications from U.S. residents in or near the following cities: New York City; Newark or Jersey City, New Jersey; Dallas, Texas; Detroit, Michigan; Baltimore, Maryland; St. Louis, Missouri; and San Jose, California. For more details on program offerings and eligibility visit: www.npower.org/locations
Unfortunately not at this time. As an organization dedicated to matching trainees with opportunities in digital careers we are currently only offering online courses within our current geographic footprint where we have strong employer partnerships to support post-program placements. As we look to increase our impact and reach more young adults, veterans and veteran spouses we may consider expanding to more locations in the future.
To qualify for our Tech Fundamentals programs, you must be a young adult, 18–25 years of age with a high school diploma or equivalent and legally authorized to work in the US.
A military veteran, reservist or spouse of a military veteran, over 21 years of age, currently serving or honorably discharged, and legally authorized to work in the US.
Since NPower was founded almost 20 years ago, our mission has been to serve those that need us most. Disconnected young adults, ages 18–25 years old, represent the talent pipeline of the future but often need support gaining the skills needed to enter the workforce. Veterans and veteran spouses often experience significant challenges and difficulties transitioning to civilian life and translating their military experience into successful high-paying careers.
No, our programs are 100% tuition-free to all accepted participants. We do ask that you come ready and determined to put in the work, trust the process, and maintain a professional attitude.
As our programs are free and only half day, we do not offer additional financial support. Many of our students also work part-time, before, after class or on the weekends. Our staff can help you find programs that may assist with covering financial responsibilities such as housing, utilities, food, or child care expenses.
While no prior knowledge of technology is needed to join our introductory Tech Fundamentals program, it is recommended that you have basic ability to use a computer such as browsing the Internet, creating, deleting, saving and copying files and folders on your desktop, hard drive, or USB drive.
No, there is currently no entrance exam, but there are a series of interviews to assess your fit for the program.
We run two cohorts per year: one begins in Spring and the other begins in Fall.
NPower has a rolling admissions process. We encourage you to apply early because spaces can fill up quickly. If you are not accepted in the current cohort, we encourage you to apply for the next class.
Tech Fundamentals is our introductory course where you will master the basics of IT with real world application and credentials with the opportunity to earn one or more industry-recognized CompTIA certifications. We offer specialized training in cybersecurity and cloud computing to NPower alumni that have completed the Tech Fundamentals program.
For more information about our regional programs, please visit our contact page to connect with a representative in your state.
APPLICATION PROCESS & PROGRAM QUESTIONS
A member from the NPower team will notify you if you have been accepted, you can reach out to a regional NPower representative for any status questions via the contact us page.
You will definitely need access to a laptop or PC to participate in the NPower program. Technology needs will be assessed during the interview process to ensure your success in the program. If you don’t have access to a computer, don’t let that stop you from applying.
While programs can vary slightly per region, most classes require a 4-hour per day commitment from Monday through Friday for 16 weeks with an opportunity for a paid internship or a project-based learning experience for 7 weeks.
Below is a snapshot of key topics and competencies covered throughout the Tech Fundamentals program:
- Managing computer components and peripherals
- Software Application installation and Management
- Installing, configuring, and managing Windows, Linux, and Apple operating systems
- Project management, agile, customer services and ticket management
- Compilation of modules addressing workforce readiness skills including communications, teamwork skills and customer service
- Professional Development
- Certifications: CompTIA IT Fundamentals and CompTIA A+ (optional)
You will be expected to attend class 4 hours each day (five days a week) and actively participate in discussions, activities, and assignments. Expect to spend an additional 2 hours dedicated to tutoring, homework, and assigned activities outside of class. In order to be successful as an entry-level IT profession, you will need to spend time outside of class mastering materials, researching topics and testing your knowledge. This is a rigorous, yet proven program.
You will have an opportunity to participate in a paid internship or a project-based learning experience. Internship placements will be hosted by our wide range of corporate partners. Check out some of our student success stories to get an idea of what’s to come.
80% of our graduates land employment or decide to continue their learning by attending college. We have a dedicated team committed to helping place you at top companies where you will be welcomed, supported and thrive. Even after graduating, NPower provides alumni continuous opportunities for networking, developing and showcasing professional and technical skill sets, and gaining real-world work experience.
While most jobs these days have some tech component especially with the increase of remote positions, the most common jobs our graduates land are:
Junior Project Managers
Audio Video Support
Some of the additional tasks related to these roles are:
- Troubleshooting real-time client issues
- Presenting technical options and/or solutions
- Serve as the go-to-source for providing remote intervention and support
- Establishing trust with customers and providing exceptional customer service
- Collaborating with internal and external teams for technical and non-technical business support
While salaries vary depending on the position, experience and company, NPower graduates’ average yearly salaries can range from $40,000 – $60,000.
RANDOMIZED CONTROL TRIAL (RCT) QUESTIONS
NPower has partnered with a research team from Wilson Sheehan Lab for Economic Opportunities (LEO), a research center in the Department of Economics at the University of Notre Dame, to launch a randomized research study to understand how our Tech Fundamentals Program has impacted and improved the lives of our students.
The trial will assess the program’s impact on students’ employment, earnings, secondary education and general wellbeing.
This breakthrough study aims to validate NPower’s belief that our program positively impacts the lives of students and is working to prove it with data.
- Be 18-25 years of age
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent
- Be legally authorized to work in the US
- Be over 21 years of age
- Currently serving or honorably discharged, or be the spouse of a military veteran
- Legally authorized to work in the US
Participation in the program and research study is voluntary.
Not participating in the research study will not affect your chances at getting into the program, you will still be entered into the lottery.
- The study will help us at NPower improve our program and better serve our students. The study could also help us get more funding to grow our program and help more students like you.
- This study will benefit society. This study will generate knowledge about how to effectively help people develop skills and get better jobs.
- The lottery we use to select applicants for interviews gives everyone a fair shot, including people who will apply in the future.
- You will apply to our program as usual.
- We will share information from your application with the research team.
- They will work with other official organizations to collect information that already exists about you so that we can learn how well our program is working.
- Successful applicants will be invited to enroll in our Tech Fundamentals program. This includes 16 weeks of instructor led training, the opportunity for a paid internship or a project-based learning experience, and career development services with NPower and develop their technical and leadership skills.
As a thank you for participation, the research team will email a $10 digital Amazon gift card within a week of application submission to all consenting Harlem applicants. All consenting Texas applicants will be automatically entered into a raffle to win a $50 gift card (10 winners).
Since we receive more applications than we are able to interview, we use a computer drawing system to determine which applications to interview.
Some applicants will be selected for an interview, others are placed on a waitlist in case there is still room in the program before class begins.
If you are not selected for an interview when you apply, you will need to wait two years before applying for our program again.
Your privacy is really important to us. Both NPower and the research team will only store your information on secure, password-protected servers.
Personally-identifiable information will be removed before analysis, and no identifiable information will be used in reporting study results.